Thursday, May 01, 2008

"It's show time!"

THE PREFACE: Quick little synopsis of what I do...

As many of you know, I teach ESL to grades 1-7 at a Christian school in Taiwan. I don't have many students, but the ones I have I have gotten to know fairly well since I have had them for most of the year.

My first class of the day is 3rd & 4th graders. I have all boys in that class. Three 3rd grade boys and one 4th grade boy.

Gianandrea and Esther (I had to beg her to take this picture)
My second class during the 9 o'clock hour, I have two 2nd graders. One Italian boy and one Korean girl. My little Italian boy is absolutely H-I-L-A-R-I-O-U-S!! He is ALL boy and very much ALL Italian. Everything you can think of regarding a stereotypical Italian man is all wrapped up in this little 6 year old boy! The gestures, the accent, facial expressions...very Italian! I love it! He's one of my favorites! I call this hour my Italian hour with the Italian stallion....haha.

My third class is 7th grade. I have 4 boys in that class. And then my last class of the day is 6th grade with 3 boys and 2 girls. I finish all of my classes before 12 noon, which is wonderful!

At the beginning of each class (for about 5-15 minutes) with the help of the Lord, I have been going through the Gospel message in different segments and then praying before starting on our English lesson for the day. I begin by handing out little slips of paper with the topic and Bible verses. I ask the students what they remember from the lessons we have discussed regarding God and the Bible, etc. Then we read through the verses and discuss it a little, then we pray and after that begin class.

Almost everyday I enjoy the goofy personalities of my students, as well as learning through my frustration with their lazy and apathetic attitudes.

THE STORY: Quick funny story...

So...two of my boys in the 3rd grade like to draw pictures (rather violent ones actually!) on these Bible verse papers that I give them. They also usually leave them in their desks. They do this pretty much everyday.

So the other day when my 2nd graders came in, they found the Bible verses that I gave to the 3rd graders.

Then this is the conversation that took place:

The little Korean girl gasped as she looked at the violent pictures she saw on one of the Bible verse papers.

My little Italian boy asks in a "ready-to-fight" tone, "Who did this?? The 3rd graders??" [then he cracks his knuckles] and says, "IT'S SHOWTIME!!"

My reaction?? BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Oh the joys of teaching at an international school =)

1 comment:

Josh and Jadey said...

This is stinkin hilarious. He is a cutie! I am sure you will be able to write a book after this teaching experience. I miss you and hope you are doing well.