Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Meatloaf...the food...not the singer.

It's interesting the things you miss when you live overseas. Never in my life did I think, "When I move overseas, I am really going to miss meatloaf."

Last night, my missionary friend, Julie, and I ate at a cute little restaurant called "The Diner." It has American style food and American size portions. As I was looking over the wonderful variety of selections on their menu, the Meatloaf dish caught my eye. I haven't eaten meatloaf in America for years. I don't recall going to a restaurant in the US and finding meatloaf on the menu. It's just not a common thing. And even if it is, it is usually at restaurants like Denny's or Waffle House...places I wouldn't trust to eat their meatloaf.

It was a risky move to order meatloaf in Taiwan, but I did it. The verdict: IT WAS DELICIOUS!! Meatloaf had honestly never tasted so good for some reason. I think it was a taste of home. I am anxious about going home in 4 weeks because I don't know what the Lord has in store. But just like I took a risk eating meatloaf in Taiwan, I am taking a risk going home with so much uncertainty.

The good thing about this risk though is that God is with me. He is the One who is guiding and leading me, even though I have no idea what's ahead, what that "US meatloaf" is going to taste like....He does. And He is good.

Psalm 34:8- "Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him."

I know this was a VERY random blog post. God is not meatloaf by any stretch of the imagination. I think I'm just in a weird way comparing the risks. The risk of ordering meatloaf in Taiwan and coming out with a good result (a satisfied hunger and longing for American food...in essence for home) and the risk of going home not knowing what it will "taste" like or be like to be home, (so close to family and in a place I haven't lived in since middle school) but being guaranteed a good result no matter where I am or what happens because of God and my hope in Him. HE is my Hope.

Romans 5:5- "And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out His love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom He has given us."

It's a stretch...I know :) Thanks for bearing with me and reading it anyway. haha :)

No comments: