Saturday, October 13, 2007

The food and drink culture of Taiwan...

I haven't posted in a while...there are so many times when I see or experience something and I think, "Oh, I should post a blog about that!" But then I don't because I forget about it or I have so much to do (especially in preparing for the next day's teaching), or I am just too tired.

The last time I was in Taiwan, I remember being so physically exhausted by the end of the day that I would take a two hour nap when I got home from teaching; then I would wake up enough to eat dinner, and then go to bed shortly after that. Well, it is happening again somewhat. Teaching is a very strenuous profession! I don't know how people do this without the Lord!

The main difference this time around is instead of crashing in the evenings (I force myself to stay awake so I can actually sleep through the night), my weekends have been wasted mostly with sleeping in really late and then laying around the rest of the day. I have a feeling this is only making me more tired. I don't like this at all!

One funny side to this struggle I am having with being so tired is a little inside joke my roommates and I have regarding the reason for this strange exhaustion (they are feeling it too). We think it is in the food and the drinks. At first, we thought it maybe could have been the MSG that the Taiwanese typically put into the food. But, I asked the school people if they put MSG into our lunches and they said they don't. All I know is shortly after lunch at school, I am ready to crash! But since I have to be at the school at least until 430p, I have begun to buy one of my favorite drinks here in Taiwan to keep me awake. It is called milk tea. I haven't found anything like it in the US. It seems to have more caffeine and sugar in it than probably 3 Mountain Dews. My roommates and I have called this....the Asian crack. We're convinced that this drink along with several of their other teas, and whatever they put in their food, is what keeps them going and going and going. They seem to never be tired here! With the exception of when they are on the MRT (the public transportation system), they all seem to simultaneously fall asleep.

Another thing about these milk tea drinks, they often come in cups that have very funny English nonsensical phrases on them such as this one:


It reads: I came hrer to see my happy soft ice cream.

That's right folks...I didn't spell it wrong according to what was on the cup. And if anyone can figure out what happy soft ice cream is and why I would come here to see it...please clue me in. =)

I have begun to take pictures of random English signs, labels, and anything else that catches my eye that is just downright funny. Taiwan is certainly unique. I am learning a lot here. Sometimes I am not sure what I am learning, but I know the Lord is teaching me. I am thankful for His unlimited patience (1 Tim.1:12-17).

Anyways, these are just some of my random observations. Thanks for reading my randomness =) I will write again soon I hope!

No comments: