Saturday, April 11, 2009

Part 2: Getting Fed Up!

I know my previous post was very lengthy, but I won't apologize since I don't write very often...haha...then again maybe if I write more often my posts won't be so lengthy, but then you'd have to read more of them...hmm...I don't know, whatev!

Anyhoo, the additional thoughts I would like to add:

Sin-- as I see it more and more in my own life as well as my grandfather's (and just people in general) it's becoming so much more real to me how much our everyday choices affect each other. You're probably like, "Duh, Misty!" Again, I'm just processing through all that has been happening over the last several months. Sin carries some hefty weight in our lives. As I learn about the choices my grandfather has made over the course of his 86 yrs of life, I am seeing how those choices and sins have been passed down and affected every one of us in the family. It really is like a domino effect.

In Exodus 20 where God first 'lays down the Law,' He very clearly states that if we have other gods before Him, things that become more important to us than Him, that choice we make, that sin we commit against Him, will be passed down through the family.
Exodus 20:1-6 (Amplified Version):
1THEN GOD spoke all these words:
2 I am the Lord your God, Who has brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

3 You shall have no other gods before or besides Me.

4 You shall not make yourself any graven image [to worship it] or any likeness of anything that is in the heavens above, or
that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth;

5 You shall not bow down yourself to them or serve them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of
the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generation of those who hate Me,

6 But showing mercy and steadfast love to a thousand generations of those who love Me and keep My commandments.


The iniquity of the fathers will visit the children even to the 3rd and 4th generations. I'm sure you if you think of your family's history you could pick out patterns, whether sinful or moral, and see what has been passed down.

This is just making me more aware of my moment-by-moment choices, everyday. Am I going to choose to serve God or myself? Will I go with His plans or my own? Will I give in to that temptation "just one more time" or choose God's way out that He promises to provide for me (1 Cor.10:13)?

As many of you may know, I am not married nor do I have children. But man, if I do one day....whew! What a sacred calling and HUGE responsibility that is! To know that my choices even now as a single woman, WILL affect (not maybe) my future husband, children, grandchildren, etc. How many examples must we read about in the Bible and in human history in general to realize this???

What you choose today, WILL affect yours and others' lives tomorrow. You're not just 'hurting' or 'helping' yourself. Everything YOU do or even say WILL affect someone else. Even a pebble makes ripples in the vast ocean.

Choose this day whom you will serve...God or yourself. There's no in-between.

No comments: