Saturday, September 03, 2011

Teach us to pray, Lord...

Wow, it has been a whirlwind first 3 weeks of school! So far, things have gone really well. I am enjoying getting to know the students and staff here at Morrison, as well as the climate and pace of Taichung. Teaching seems to be going surprisingly well. Although, I haven't quite mastered getting into a set routine where I actually plan ahead for my classes. I still have that "flying-by-the-seat-of-my-pants" kind of feeling at this point, which I don't really like. I hope to be able to start preparing for my lessons more than an hour beforehand soon. God, help me!








I'm also still trying to learn the names of all my students. Mind you, I teach Kindergarten through 8th grade. That basically means I need to learn around 240 names. Since I only see most of my students (K-5th) about once a week, this is a difficult task. Again, God, help! 






Aside from that, like I said, I am enjoying being here, which is a huge answer to prayer! The last time I lived in Taiwan was very difficult for me, especially in the beginning. But these first 5 weeks or so of being here, I have seen so many of the Lord's precious promises fulfilled over and over and am sustained by His faithfulness. 


One of His promises in particular that He has continually proven faithful in throughout my life is Psalm 68:6 (NLT)- 

God places the lonely in families;
      He sets the prisoners free and gives them joy.
   But He makes the rebellious live in a sun-scorched land.


And He certainly has done this for me once again. He has placed me here in a great "family"- the Morrison family- which is comprised of my brothers and sisters in Christ. I love how God has His family spread out all over the world- so that in any country you visit just about you have a "family member" there. How cool is He?!


What a powerful, loving and faithful God we have! One Who answers prayers and gives and fulfills the desires of our hearts!


One final thought that I want to be careful to pray for over my students and the wonderful staff is found in a few verses I have come across in the last few weeks. They are: 


1 Thessalonians 2:13 (NIV)- 


And we also thank God continually because, when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as a human word, but as it actually is, the word of God, which is indeed at work in you who believe.


1 Thessalonians 3:12-13 (NIV)-

May the Lord make your love increase and overflow for each other and for everyone else, just as ours does for you. May He strengthen your hearts so that you will be blameless and holy in the presence of our God and Father when our Lord Jesus comes with all His holy ones.


As I was writing this blog, I was reminded of the orphans in India I had the privilege of meeting when I went there on 2 mission trips back in 2005. I was encouraged, humbled, moved, and challenged by these precious prayer warriors. There are no words to describe being ushered into the presence of God with 2500 orphans praying out-loud, all at the same time, to Him with a fervor and true childlike faith that I had never seen before and hope to see again...here in Taiwan...and America...and in all nations. Yes, Lord!  





Father, please do as Your word says here in the hearts and lives of the students and staff here at Morrison and teach us to pray without ceasing and seek You earnestly and passionately. Let it be so, Lord, Let it be so.

No comments: