Sunday, August 09, 2009

Check Engine Light...Check yourself before you wreck yourself!

So in the 4 weeks that I have owned my 'new' vehicle ('new' to me...it's a 2004), the check engine light has come on 6 times. Some people were telling me I should just return the vehicle and get another one as if it was a shirt that I bought in the wrong size. Unfortunately, I can't just return a car, especially after having it for 4 weeks. (Although, I did own a Toyota Camry for 1 week once and then returned it because they tried to rip me off! That was a crazy experience back in 2003!)

It certainly was a frustrating situation to have this check engine light come on so many times, but at the same time I was thankful it was happening while I still have a warranty on it. So far since getting the vehicle back this past Friday, it has been running fine and praise the Lord the engine light hasn't come on yet! As I was thinking about the whole engine light thing these past few days, a random spiritual parallel came to mind.

I feel like the Lord has been really trying to work with me on the whole issue of learning what true repentance is and just continually 'examining myself to see if I am in the faith' (2 Corinthians 13:5). It says in God's Word that He has given us the Holy Spirit to teach us and guide us in His ways (John 14). The Holy Spirit is Who keeps us in check and will set off that "internal check engine light" that we call the conscience.

My prayer is to continually become more and more sensitive and yield to this internal 'Check Engine Light' of my soul called the Holy Spirit so that I 'might not sin against Him' (Psalm 119:9-11) and not 'grieve or quench' the Spirit (Eph.4:30). Lord, may it be so. Amen.

No comments: